Lift the lid on this conical cooking pot and unveil the secrets to mouth-watering Moroccan cuisine.
The ingredient of Beef, date and honey tagine with almonds
- 85g (1/2 cup) whole blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (about 1.5kg) beef rump steaks, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 brown onions, halved, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 x 7cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 150g (1 cup) fresh dates, halved lengthways, pitted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Beef, date and honey tagine with almonds
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Place almonds on a baking tray and bake for 6-8 minutes or until toasted. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Reduce oven to 150u00b0C.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Add one-quarter of the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining beef and half the remaining oil, reheating pan between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the saffron, cinnamon, cumin and ginger and cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the beef, stock and water. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Bake, covered, in oven for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove from oven and add the dates and honey. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes or until cooled slightly and the dates are soft.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the beef tagine and top with coriander to serve.
Nutritions of Beef, date and honey tagine with almondsfatContent: